Tuesday, February 24, 2009

District Regatta in Eustis

This past weekend we visited Eustis to do a little lake sailing and tackle the 4th Regatta of our State Championship. The regatta report, results and updated series standings are up on the District Website

There were huge position changes but none bigger than in the last race. Jim Egan had a really nice race going leading the way at the second weather mark. A huge dead zone and the 1st became 16th. Ouch. There were other huge gains and losses, as well. We had one of our own, second race, third leg and we are sitting (I mean sitting!) about 20th. Almost a full leg behind the leaders but near the mark we get inside and pass two boats. All of a sudden we are fast, smart and probably really lucky, we finish 8th. Go figure. One thing I will always remember about lake sailing is no lead is safe and/or you are never out of it.

Now for some random chatter;

EustisReport - I've never seen so many World and NA Champs walking around in one place before. Thirty Scots registered! As for the sailing - Have you ever sailed a race where it became pretty clear that strategically it was much better to position yourself in last place than ever to be hanging waaay out there in first? Just ask Jeff Linton at today's first windward mark, or Jim Egan at the final windward mark. Jim's lead over the other 29 boats at that point was measurable in nautical miles. Didn't matter tho'. That's what Eustis was like. Very nice crowd sailing, and running, the regatta, which is why it remains one of the best annual Scot regattas. Chuck.

First, let me whine about last sunday: I would. I could and I should, 'cept the guys that placed at the top are the same guys who placed at the top of the other races. So who am I to complain? I must admit tho, it was a painful last leg. Usually, when something like that happens, there is some good-natured ribbing. I think others felt my pain, though, as I have never had so many people walk up to me and say (without apparent sarcasm) that they felt sorry for me. It may be the new administration, (then again, there certainly was some "redistribution of wealth" out there), or it may be that we are a kinder gentler nation, or it could be that it was the single worst drubbing in the history of sport, (think: agony of defeat) but people didn't even tease us. They just came over and expressed their condolences. It was lonely over there, terry wouldn't even speak to me and he was in the same boat! Thanks everyone for not pouring salt in the wound. The salt from my own tears was pain enough. How will i ever forget this? how can i put it behind me? i'll just have to remember the leeward mark rounding and forget all the rest. Now for next sunday:

I hope and plan to be there. Who else is in? Jim.

Dear Jim, I caught multiple lumber across the bridge of my nose on the icy high school rinks of NH that didn't hurt near as bad as what happened to you yesterday. Plz count me in for next Sunday. Chuck

Recommendation to all SSS Scot skippers; next time you see Jim Egan, buy him a beer. It was PAINFUL to watch, even as one struggling like hell to try to beat him. Dave.

We can't get worked up about these things. Bad to grip too tight. A little scared for this morning's patients tho'. Chuck

Jim, Sorry we weren't there to offer our condolences. For those like us that didn't make it I think I found some coverage of the last race on youtube: Hope to see you Sun.
John & Suz.

The only thing going through my mind are condolences to Jims first monday morning patient as he gets back to work with drill in hand! Bob.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bummer jim... just think, next time you race ...it could happen again...hopefully to somebody else tho!