Monday, May 17, 2010

Common Sense and Good Sailors

Last week I was talking to a sailing friend and we got on the topic of common sense. We both more a less agreed that you rarely, if ever, see a good sailor that has no common sense. Not that all sailors are rocket scientists or anything but you don't normally see a really good sailor with no common sense. And so on...

Jump ahead to today;

I was watching Fox News today until the sensationalism got to me and I could stand it no more. I decided to give CNN a shot and was almost ready to turn that off when a promo said that Ted Turner was being interviewed next. Being a great sailor and all, I decided to hang in to see what Ted had to say.

He led off with the statement that he wasn't a very religious person. He then said that he thought God was sending us a message with the Gulf oil spill. Now there is an interesting line of reasoning. He then adds that in addition to the oil spill message God is also sending us a message about coal mining, referencing the 29 miners that died recently in W. Virginia. I guess it was a 2 for 1 special on God messages for Ted.

The lady interviewing him then asked about his energy strategy and he said he likes solar and wind. Most of us like solar and wind so nothing too crazy about that. He then adds that he likes nuclear which has me scratching my head in confusion. I'm thinking that a nuclear power disaster might be a little worse than the oil spill. Visions of the Chernobyl nuke fallout in Russia are popping in my head about now....Call me crazy!

The lady interviewer looked surprised as well and asked him why. His reply was that with coal you know you are going to die and with nuclear you only have a chance of dieing. Therefore, with nuclear since you "only have a chance of dieing" you also have a chance to live! If the lady had a follow up question they didn't air it.

YAY!! We have a chance to live!

My next thought is I can't believe this guy could even win a fleet race...

I guess being the founder of CNN gets you some leeway with the CNN interviews...

The common sense theory is officially shot all to hell!

6 comments:

S/V Veranda said...

We live totally dependent on wind and solar but since we're all destined to die anyway I may look into squeezing a reactor into the Pearson.....I knew Turner was a loon as soon as he hooked up with Hanoi Jane.

Unknown said...

The Hanoi Jane era had escaped me but I was just a kid.

The reactor is a great idea but the Flying Scot Class rules specifically prohibit them; "all freak contrivances shall be illegal"

Back to my fall-out shelter...

Anonymous said...

Ted is on a mission from GOD!

Jake and Elwood

Anonymous said...

i think we should burn teds cash...that should give us enough energy to run a small city!

Unknown said...

LOL! Good one Jake and Elwood! Common sense says this is from Elwood, but how about another hint?

Unknown said...

Pyro I agree! I think I heard Ted is the largest land owner in the USA. We could add some Nukes, solar panels and wind farms on his land and who needs the Gulf!?